In this article
- Why check the roof of your house?
- Items to check during a roof inspection
- What can a professional roofer provide when inspecting the roof of a residence?
- When should the roof be inspected?
- Some safety rules to follow when climbing on the roof
Whether you are entering into a transaction to buy a new home or have been living in it for a few years, the roof is always an important element to include in your budget.
To avoid water damage in the dead of winter or unexpected expenses during a purchase, consider inspecting the roof regularly. This inspection is also the ideal time to carry out maintenance. Let’s see how to proceed.
The elements to check on the roof of a house
Water drainage is one of the fundamental functions of the roof. You must therefore:
- Avoid the presence of standing water and check that the water drains properly by removing debris on the roof (branches and clumps of leaves);
- Ensure caulking joints are in good condition (and not cracked or even missing);
- Drain the gutters, if necessary.
Examine the condition of the membrane and shingles. If the shingles have the corners raised, this is a sign of obvious wear and you will need to replace the roof covering in whole or in part to ensure its tightness.
Finally, check that there is no shortage of metal flashing. Flashings are pieces of metal that cover certain small areas of the roof that shingles cannot reach along ventilation ducts or chimneys, among others. If the flashings are damaged (cracks or dents) or if they are not waterproof, it could quickly lead to leaks inside the house.
Do I need a professional?
Although you can complete several points of an inspection yourself, it is advisable to call in … Read the rest